Leadership team lacked a consistent approach to define, prioritize, and allocate key resources for its most compelling, commercially-oriented research projects. Build a mechanism for reporting and outreach to internal and external stakeholders.
Establish a process to help select and maximize strategic value of innovative cancer research and early development at a leading U.S. Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Assemble leadership team to agree on goals and unmet needs;
- Survey organization’s existing competencies, benchmarked to comparative organizations, and identify gaps and opportunities;
- Collaborate with an internal advisory team to design relevant evaluation, funding, and partner/investor outreach processes compatible with organizational culture to achieve goals;
- Pilot and operationalize the process with full facilitation support;
- Transfer the process with training and support;
- Support building business development and strategic competencies related to the optimal use of the process.
Deliverables & Outcome:
- Map of current competencies and gaps related to achievements in translational research and technology transfer, benchmarked to peers and leaders in field.
- Developed Technical and Commercial Assessment Reports and templates for 3 leading technologies in 6 potential disease indications.
- Created and piloted process and supportive templates to review and score leading research projects across 4 major criteria determined to be key to the strategic mission of the organization and to commercial potential (Scientific Rationale, Strategic Fit, Clinical Utility and Business Potential).
- Assembled expert committee for periodic scheduled project reviews, scoring and development advice, including recruitment of external advisors from venture capital and industry.
- Created business development roadmap to increase internal competency in out-license of early stage technology; piloted with a leading technology.
U.S. Comprehensive Cancer Center and Medical Research Organization
Strategy, with Operational Application
Can You Relate?
Every business is unique, but your company may be facing many of the same challenges as the clients described in these case studies.
Please contact us to discuss how we can help you.